Spatchcocked and Smoked Turkey
It's time to take your Thanksgiving turkey to flavortown with this simple spatchcocked turky recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: Approx 3-4 hours (depending on the size of the bird)
- 1 whole turkey (thawed)
- 1/2 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Essential BBQ Rub
- 1. The night before your ready to smoke the turkey, remove all of the gizzards, neck and other things that come stuffed inside the turkey. Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Now it's time to spatchcock the bird. This technique creates a a jucier, more flavorful turkey and is ideal for cooking on a pellet grill. Check out this short video. Keep the bones and extras from step 1 to make stock, you'll be glad you did.
- Apply the rub all over the turkey and place in the fridge overnight.
- About an hour prior to cooking, in a small saucepan, add the orange juice, bourbon, butter and maple syrup and simmer medium heat for about 10 minutes, then let the mixture cool to about room temp. You'll need to watch this and make sure to use before the butter re-solidifies.
- Using a meat injector, inject the breasts and thighs of the turkey with the mixture. We recommend doing this on a large sheet pan to collect the juices that may run out.
- Smoke at 250° until the internal temp of the turkey breast reaches 160°. Carefully remove the turkey from the grill and let rest for 30 min. The temp will continue to rise to 165° and remain nice and juicy.
- Slice, Serve and Enjoy with Friends and Family!