This is a basic BBQ rub recipe that can be used alone to enhance the flavor of chicken, pork, burgers and steaks, or use it as a foundation to build and create an assortment of delicious rubs by adding your own favorite ingredients.
Prep time: 10 min
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon coarse cracked black pepper (halve this if using a finer grind)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less based on desired heat)
Combine above ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork until well blended. If there’s clumps from the brown sugar, smush them with the back of a spoon and keep mixing.
Apply as much rub as you’d like to your meat and throw it on your grill!
Keep your leftover rub in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.