It's easy to fall in love with the hindquarter muscle known as the Tri-Tip. Unlike a brisket which takes hours of smoking to break down, the tri-tip is best cooked to a medium rare, like a steak, and is ready in under 2hrs. It takes a little more to chew than a traditional strip or tenderloin, but delivers a whole lot of flavor.
Triangular in shape, it also lends itself to being smoked whole, and sliced. Perfect alone and great on sandwiches.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 1-2 hrs *depending on size
- 2-3 Lbs Tri-Tip trimmed
- 3 Tbsp Coffee Spice BBQ Rub
- Olive Oil
- Lightly coat the tri-tip with olive oil then rub with Coffee Spice BBQ Rub to completely cover the meat.
- Start your grill and set temp to 225o. When up to temp, place the Tri-Tip on the center of the grill and close the lid.
- Slow cook the tri-tip to approx. 115 degrees then increase the temperature of the grill to 350.
- Continue to cook until reaching the desired internal temperature. I recommend 130 for a nice medium rare.
- Remove from the grill, tent with foil and let’s sit for 15 minutes. Remove foil, slice and serve.
Pairs well with the following Bear Mountain Premium BBQ Pellets, and a delicious, smooth bourbon.