World Famous Smoked Brats & Onions
Well, they may not be world-famous (yet!), but they are famous here at Bear Mountain BBQ for good reason! This brat recipe is quick, easy, and insanely delicious. Trust us, you're really going to want to try these!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1.5 - 2 Hours
- 8 - 12 uncooked brats
- 8 - 12 brat or hot dog rolls - we recommend a potato style roll
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion - Sliced
- 4 Tbls Butter
- 24oz Lager or Pilsner style beer
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 medium-sized foil pan (Use a smaller pan with fewer brats)
- Turn on your grill and set the temp to 225 degrees
- Smoke the uncooked brats for approx 1 hour. Brats will slightly dry out during the process, but that’s OK
- Slice onions into ¼ thick slices
- Remove brats from the grill and turn the temperature up to 350 degrees
- Place the brats, onions, butter, beer, and pepper in the foil pan and return to the grill
- Cook for 30 minutes or longer and allow the brats to soak in the beer and onion deliciousness
- Place the brats on the roll, top with beer and butter-soaked onions and serve!
Alternative Smoke ‘Ems™ Preparation:
- On one side of the grill, turn on the burner or fire up your charcoal and place the Smoke ‘Ems packet directly over the heat until it starts smoking.
- Place the brats on the other side of the grill or an upper rack over low heat and cook to an internal temp of approx.150° or until the Smoke ‘Ems has stopped smoking.
- Remove the brats from the grill, turn the temp to med/high and continue with 5 above.