Wood-Fired Pan Pizza
Pizza night will never be the same after your family's tried this delicious pie. This recipe is perfect on the pellet grill and the wood-fired flavors will keep your whole family coming back for more.
Adapted from the King Arthur Flour Crispy Cheesy Pan Pizza recipe
Prep Time: 1.5 hours (plus 24-72 hours of refrigerated resting)
Cook Time: 20 min
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbls Olive Oil for dough + 2 Tbls for the pan
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant or active dry yeast
- 1.5 cups of lukewarm water
- 16 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- Choice of toppings (used pepperoni and black olives in the above)
- Herbs and crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 - 13x9 All-Purpose foil BBQ pan
At least 24 hours before you plan to make the pizza:
- Combine the flour, salt, yeast, olive oil and water in a large mixing bowl. Mix together until the dough is shaggy and loose with no dry spots
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rest for 5 minutes
- Uncover and grab the dough with a wet hand at the bottom of the ball and fold the dough over the top. Turn the bowl 90° and repeat 3 more times. Cover and let the dough rest for another 5 minutes.
- Repeat step 4 three more times (total of 4 folds)
- Let the dough rest, covered with a towel, for 40 minutes then place in a lightly oiled plastic bag and set in the fridge for 24-72 hours.
About 3 hours before you plan to eat
- Prepare your pan by spreading the 2 Tbls olive oil evenly around the bottom and up all the edges. Be sure to get into all the grooves to ensure nothing sticks
- Place the dough in the pan and lightly, press the dough out to the edges. If the dough pulls back, let it rest for 20 minutes, covered, then keep working it until it's out to the edges.
- Cover with a towel and rest for 2 hours
- Turn on your grill and set the temp to HIGH, or 450 degrees
- Cover the entire dough with cheese, starting with the edges and work in. Use about 75% of the cheese on the first layer
- Add spoonfuls of sauce across the top about 1-2" apart
- Add your favorite toppings and herbs, then top with the rest of the cheese
- Bake for approx 20 mins or until the edges form a dark brown crust
- Remove from grill, let cool for 5 minutes then serve