Your grill or smoker is a great place to make some of your favorite dishes, but did you know it can also assist you in making delicious cocktails? With the help of Bear Mountain pellets, try smoking your salt for this flavorful margarita.
Jalapeño Simple Syrup
-1 cup water
-1 cup sugar
-1 jalapeño, halved
Smoky Jalapeño Margaritas
-Juice of 2 limes
-2 1/2 oz Jalapeño Simple Syrup
-2 oz. Blanco Tequila of choice
-1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
-1 oz Cointreau
-Grand Marnier Floater
-Slices of jalapeño and lime wedges for garnish
Smoked Salt Rim
-1 lime, quartered
-2 tbsp of either a coarse sea salt or a flake salt (feel free to add more than recommended amount as the smoked salt can always be stored for later use)
-1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
2. Spread the salt evenly in a baking pan and place on the grill or in the smoker.
3. Stir the salt every hour or so. Leave it on for at least four hours. For a richer, deeper, flavor, you can leave it on for 12 + hours.
4. Remove the salt and let it cool as you mix your cocktail. For any leftover salt, make sure to store it in an airtight container.
5. Then, start on your cocktail. To make the simple syrup, combine water, sugar, and jalapeño in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat once sugar has dissolved. Let steep covered for 30 minutes. Discard jalapeño.
6. To make the smoked chili salt rim, whisk together the smoked salt and chili powder. Add to a shallow bowl.
7. Prepare two cocktail glasses by rubbing the rim with a wedge of lime. Rim the glasses with the smoked salt. Set aside.
8. In a shaker filled with ice, combine lime juice, jalapeño simple syrup, tequila, chili powder, and orange liqueur for the margaritas.
9. Fill the two rimmed glasses with ice. Strain cocktail evenly between the two glasses.
10. Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.
11. Drink up!