Smoked Mac & Cheese
Throw out that boxed Mac & Cheese and trade it for this delicious Smoked Mac & Cheese. Loaded with delicious smoke flavor and topped with a crunchy panko bread crumb layer, this recipe is sure to satisfy all your taste buds.
Thanks to SmokinSteve for sharing this recipe!Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- 1 lb elbow macaroni noodles (cooked according to package instructions)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1.5 cups Gouda (shredded)
Bread Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs (Check out Bacon's Heir's Pork Panko Bread Crumbs)
- 1/4 cup butter
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni noodles until they are al dente.
- Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F.
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and whisk in the flour until a smooth, thin paste forms. Then whisk in the mustard powder.
- Carefully pour in the half and half and bring to a boil while whisking frequently. Reduce the heat and whisk in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Whisk in the cheddar and gouda cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and pour in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir gently until the noodles are thoroughly coated by the cheese.
- Combine the melted butter and panko bread crumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Place the skillet in the smoker, close the lid and smoke for 1 hour. For a stronger smoke flavor, keep the skiller on the smoker for up to 2 hours.
- Turn up the smoker to 325 degrees F for the last half hour.
- Let cool slightly and then enjoy a smoked flavor packed mac and cheese!