Smoking cheese is an amazing way to elevate the smooth creamy flavor of your favorite cheeses. Smoked cheese is the perfect complement to your favorite charcuterie plate or the main attraction in the most amazingly smoky mac and cheese!
To smoke cheese, we recommend using a pellet smoking tube on a cold grill so the cheese doesn't melt.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Smoke Time: Up to 2 hours
- Cheese - we recommend a gouda or mild cheddar to let the smoke flavor shine
- Bear Mountain BBQ wood pellets
- Cut your cheese to the desired size. If you want more smoke flavor, cut the cheese into smaller blocks.
- Fill your pellet smoking tube with your choice of Bear Mountain BBQ pellets, light the pellets and place the tube on one side of the grill
- Place your cheese on the other side of the grill and close the lid.
- Allow your cheese to smoke for 1-2 hours depending on the amount of smoke flavor you enjoy.
- Remove the cheese from the grill and wrap with wax paper.
- Place the wrapped cheese in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 days and up to 2 weeks before using. This allows the smoke flavor to absorb into the cheese and mellow out.
Alternative Smoke ‘Ems Preparation:
- On one side of the grill, turn on the burner or fire up your charcoal and place the Smoke ‘Ems packet directly over the heat until it starts smoking.
- On the opposite (cool) side of the grill, place the cheese and smoke to your desired level of smokiness.
- Remove from grill and continue step 5 above.