World Famous Brats and Sauerkraut
Brats and sauerkraut make the perfect side dish or main dish at any BBQ. This recipe delivers the flavor and will leave your guests begging for more.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1.5 - 2 Hours
- 8 - 12 uncooked brats
- 8 - 12 brat or hot dog rolls - we recommend a potato style roll
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion - Sliced
- 4 Tbls Butter
- 24oz Lager or Pilsner style beer
- 1 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 medium-sized foil pan (Use a smaller pan with fewer brats)
- 1 27oz can of sauerkraut
- Turn on your grill and set the temp to 225 degrees
- Smoke the uncooked brats for approx 1 hour. Brats will slightly dry out during the process, but that’s OK
- Slice onions into ¼ thick slices
- Remove brats from the grill and turn the temperature up to 350 degrees
- Place the brats, onions, butter, beer, and pepper in the foil pan and return to the grill
- Cook for 30 minutes or longer and allow the brats to soak in the beer and onion deliciousness
- When the brats are plump and juicy, remove the brats and onions and discard the remaining liquid. Add the sauerkraut to the pan, slice the brats into 1" thick slices, or leave them whole, and mix the brats, sauerkraut, and onions to combine, cover the pan with foil, and place back on the grill until the sauerkraut is warm.
- Serve as a side or the main dish!