We're huge fans of chicken on a throne. It's a surefire way of creating the most insanely delicious, juicy smoked chicken. Prop your whole chicken up on a 1/2 empty can of your favorite beer... and smoke. You'll get an even cook with no flipping , scorching... and you get to drink some beer. We're big believers in this recipe...give it a try.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: Approx 1-1/2 - 2 hours
- 1 whole fryer chicken (2-4 lbs)
- 1 Can beer (choose wisely)
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1 Sprig rosemary
- 5 Whole peppercorns
- 2-3 Tablespoons of your favorite BBQ Rub
- 1-2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1. Remove all of the gizzards, neck and other things that come stuffed inside the chicken. Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
2. Lightly coat the chicken with olive oil then cover with rub.
3. Open your beer and take a big sip. Slice the garlic cloves in half and put into the beer can along with the rosemary and peppercorns.
4. On a large cutting board or plate, set the chicken down on top of the beer can with the legs down.
5. Start your grill and set the temp to 225-degrees. When up to temp, place the beer can chicken on the grill grates and use the chicken legs to stabilize.
6. Smoke at 225-degrees until the internal temp of the chicken breast reaches 140-degrees.
7. Increase the temperature of your grill to 350-degrees and continue to cook until the internal temperature of the chicken breast reaches 165-degrees.
8. Carefully remove from the grill and let stand for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the beer can from the chicken, then slice and serve the chicken.
Pairs well with the following Bear Mountain Premium BBQ Pellets, and a chilled craft beer.