Curious what can make a Thanksgiving Day turkey even more flavorful? Bacon! Bear Mountain ambassador Dustin Hotaling with @FlipFlopsBBQ shows us how it’s done.
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
-Turkey (at least a 15 lb bird)
-1 to 1 ½ lbs of Bacon
-Rub of choice (I recommend Gulf Coast Smoke’s Southern Hospitality BBQ Seasoning and Southern Bell BBQ Seasoning)
- John Henry's Pecan Rub
-3 Garlic Cloves (whole)
-2 Garlic Cloves (diced)
-2 cups of Fllour
-Salt and Pepper
- Stuff the turkey with oranges, lemons, 3 whole garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme.
- Mix together salt, pepper, diced garlic, and butter for a butter compound. Rub under the turkey’s skin.
- Sprinkle an even coat of the Pecan Rub and the Hospitality Rub on the turkey, then wrap the entire turkey in bacon.
- Add another coat of Pecan Rub over the bacon.
- Set your grill or smoker to 250°F and fill the hopper with Bear Mountain Bourbon pellets.
- Place the turkey in a deep tray and put it on the grill or smoker.
- Once the turkey reached an internal temp to 165 °F (this takes 3-4 hours), remove the bacon and place in the tray. Then remove the turkey and sit it on the grill to crisp up the skin.
- While the turkey is getting crisp, take the drippings and the bacon in the pan and place on the stove top at medium/high heat.
- Bring the drippings to a boil, add some flour and a little pepper to make the gravy.
- After the turkey has gotten sufficiently crispy, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add your favorite family sides are for turkey day, set the table, and dig in!